We help navigate real estate transactions at every phase from the inception of a deal through closing.
We have experience with commercial real estate markets across the country, representing private investors, real estate developers, property managers, business owners, and real estate investment trusts (REITs) in commercial real estate matters.
Real estate work requires not only knowledge of the law, but meticulous attention to detail. Our services include complex due diligence review of target acquisitions, contract negotiations, purchase and disposition of both government-leased and publicly leased commercial buildings, mixed-use, and multi-tenant buildings.
We are well-versed in federal real estate law, having conducted over a billion dollar in closings for commercial properties leased to General Services Administration (GSA) agencies, such as the IRS, Department of Veterans Affairs, and the Drug Enforcement Agency, as well as state agencies. We have also assisted clients with government lease negotiations, lease renewals and disputes, and the Novation/Change of Ownership process.
We represent residential and commercial landlords to assist with drafting and reviewing rental agreements, as well as litigating business disputes related to contractual matters. We can also advise on eviction proceedings, including lease-related issues associated with rental rates, late or unpaid rent, security deposits, habitability, and discrimination.
We can also assist with:
- Eastment and licensing agreements
- Commercial finance, including tax credit financing
- Lot consolidations
- Public / private partnerships
- Development Agreements
- Economic development incentives
- Planned use developments
- Contested and complex title / ownership issues
- Land contracts
- Deed in lieu / distressed property restructuring and workouts
- Zoning and ordinance work
- Construction contracts
- Large-scale residential developments
- Real estate and construction litigation
Commercial Real Estate
- Acquisition of a 189,875 SF building in Washington, D.C., which is leased to a variety of government tenants.
- On the heels of the recession, assisted large institutional client in the multi-million dollar disposition of non-performing real estate portfolio, including golf courses, multi-tenant commercial rentals, subdivisions, and other real property.
- Negotiated, conducted extensive due diligence, and closed GSA-acquisition deals totaling over $300 million.
- Structured deals including mezzanine financing of commercial developments in SE Michigan.
- Closed over $600 million in commercial investments on behalf of several open-ended investment funds.
- Reviewed and negotiated terms of complex leveraging transactions.
- Prepared Borrower legal opinion letters for commercial borrowers, including developers and business owners.
Tax Credit Finance
- Represented developer in one of the largest new markets tax credit deals of 2014 (almost $60 million in tax credit allocation).
- Represented a tax exempt federally qualified health care facility developing a new facility with new markets tax credits, brownfield tax credits and other economic development incentives.